Friday, October 29, 2010

Soups On


Okay, so soup is one of my favorite foods to make! For a lot of reasons! 1) I can make it whenever I want during the day and keep it warm in a crockpot. 2) I can make the whole meal pretty much in one dish so I don't have a ton of pans to clean. 3) I know my kids will eat it even if it's loaded up with veggies! 4) It gives me an excuse to make a bunch of yummy rolls! and 5)It's usually pretty cheap!

Last night we had broccoli cheese soup (My 4 year old's favorite) with 1 hr. rolls from Jenny's food blog. So first things first: here's the link to the rolls recipe. Jenny's 1 hour roll recipe! They are awesome and they only take 1 hour start to finish (including bake time!)

The soup recipe is from a cookbook my mom sent me a few years ago that the ladies at her church put together! I made a few variations but I tried to be good and follow the recipe for the most part!


Cheesy Broccoli Soup

6 cups fresh broccoli chopped (you can even chop the entire stalk up and put it in)
1 small yellow onion chopped
1 1/2 qt. chicken broth (about 4 cans chicken broth)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
3/4 cup butter
2 cups milk (the recipe calls for half n half but I always just use milk and it's been fine)
3/4 cup flour
16 oz. Velveeta cheese

Boil broth, broccoli, onion and seasonings until broccoli is tender. Remove about 1/2 cup of the broth and discard. Add butter to broccoli and broth. In a small bowl mix flour and milk together. Slowly add the milk/flour mixture to the rest of the broth. Add cheese in chunks and heat slowly until melted. I like it plain but my kids like to put toppings on all their food so they top it with bacon and cheese! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment